Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Criticism vs. appreciation

No artist needs criticism, only honest appreciation.  If he needs criticism, he is no artist. Gertrude Stein.
What do you think of this quote?

It reminds me how hyper-defensive I am from having grown up with a critical parent, who of course made me feel lots of shame; thus I become defensive very easily when I'm not aware of it.

I think self criticism is probably the only kind I can ever hear these days.  However, I also know the minute someone is less than honest in giving positive feedback.

Appreciation must be genuine to be of any value.  If you don't like what I'm doing, shut up!

No, I take that back.  I do like your opinions.  If I didn't ever hear anything but my own view point, I'd be terribly (more than I already am) narcissistic.   I just need to hear that you think something from your viewpoint...ie, making an "I statement" rather than, "you did a bad job of that."  You know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...