Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Big pitchers

While Gary Rith is busy making his tiny pitchers, I've tried some more big ones.  But I am still finding after they are off the wheel they are too bottom heavy.  Yep, my opinion and it leads me to carving away in attempts to lighten the load.  But shape is done pretty much, so I need to figure out how to really pull that extra weight of clay off the bottom walls before finishing throwing.  The one thing I learned and never do, is to let the pot set up a bit after it's pretty much finished, then after that drying off time, pull more clay up.  I've seen that that does extend the walls easily.

So back to the drawing board, er, potters wheel, for this "hobbiest" potter.


6 comments:

  1. I particularly love that first pitcher, and would be very proud to make one like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! Fingers and toes crossed that it comes out of the kiln ok tomorrow...the first one anyway.

      Delete
  2. You should always make sure that the inside of the pot has the shape that you want the outside to become. That way when you trim you are simply removing extra clay and revealing the shape you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's easy for you to say! My first reaction. Second one is that I'm grateful to have your advice...thank you. I think I'm just getting back into making anything that I know what the shape will be before I pull it all the way up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a bowl.

      Delete
  3. haha, YES, large, medium small, I love them all and yours here looks mighty GOOD :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, those are beautiful and the workshop I just went to Carolyn said the same thing that Lori said above about the inside being the important part and then removing the outside to get the shape.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...