Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Friday, November 15, 2013

Process from bisque to glaze fired (TWO)

Another question I had to decide, what to do with a pitcher that I was pleased with the shape, and I didn't want a glaze failure to take it into the "seconds" shelf.  I had enough there already.

I decided I would try once again for the pretty blue to purple blush of Floating Blue over Raspberry.  And I would even add a spiral with wax over the first coat of glaze, the Raspberry, which has worked well before.

So here's the first view, before applying glaze.



And here's what came out of the kiln last Sat.


Where is the purple?  Well in the spiral at least.


Nice handle comfortable to lift.  But what happened on this side?

A bit of blue on blue it seems.  That's what happens with pottery...and especially studio glazes.  Different people add more water sometimes, and this time apparently Raspberry was too thin compared to Floating Blue.  But I actually like the way this came out...giving the sense that a little imperfection is what life is all about. (how did that happen through many failed attempts to get what I planned?)


QUOTE FOR THE DAY:  May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being.
Apache Blessing


2 comments:

  1. DANG it looks beautiful. Sometimes I have a freshly made item that I think looks kinda OK only, but the glazing makes it look fantastic! This glaze looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...