Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Ancestor Thursday - Elizabeth Herone/Hearon 1539-1575

Combining my blogs means the matriarchal ancestors which I've been researching will now be published here. If you are interested in past blogs from "When I was 69" there's a link over on the right column down at the bottom.

I left you HERE last week, when Ancestry deleted 12) Alice Harris Farnham Martin's parents...who knows why or how...since I've got a private tree.  It must have been the goings-on at Ancestry itself.  So tonight I chased them back down again, and we'll start at the furthest that I now can find and come back down to Alice again. [NOTE: the numbers 1), 2), etc. prior to a name, are generations going back from my grandchildren's generation as 1)]

These are my ancestors through the Grangers down to my grandmother 4)Ada Phillips Swasey Rogers.

14) Elizabeth Herone/Hearon was the daughter of 15) Alfred and 15) Caroline Herone, about whom I know no more.
Their daughter 14) Elizabeth was born in 1539 in Maldon, Essex, England who d. in 1575 in St Botolph Aldgate, London, England.
St Botolphs Aldgate front elevation.JPG
St. Botolph's Aldgate, construction started 1115; 16th century; 1741, completed 1744

14) Elizabeth Herone married 14) Vincent Harris on 23 Apr 1559, in Croydon, Surrey, England.1559 at age 20. (Note from modern times, Croydon was once in Surry, but now is considered in South London.)

Now I have a lot of trouble pronouncing English names (though it's probably because they throw in some consonants that don't get pronounced, but I don't know when that happens.)  But this church apparently was built near one of the four gates of medieval London, thus the Aldgate.  And so I understand that her birth was just recorded in this church, thus she lived in London.

I'm so grateful for those church records kept so well back then.
They had 4 children and the oldest was 13) Thomas Harris, b. 5 Dec 1562 in Bromley, Kent, England, d, 1621 in Maldon, Essex, England.  
All Saints Vicarage, Maldon, Essex, England
All Saints vicarage, Maldon, Essex, England


In either 1580 or 1584 he married (probably in Wyddiall, Hertfordshire, England) 13) Ms. Cordelia Gill, (b. 1566 in Widihall, Hertfordshire, England, d. 1632 in Essex, England.  (Note: I could find Hertfordshire information on line, but no Widihall...so if anyone knows anything about that site, please let me know.  Thanks.)

Remember how grateful I was for church records?  Well somewhere someone found 2 different marriage records for this couple.  Since the first one would have a 14 year old bride (not unheard of) and the first child wasn't born until after the second marriage date, it's probably that one.  I have no information at the time on Cordelia Gill's parents.

It's possible 13) Thomas and 13) Cordelia Gill Harris had 13 children, and the youngest was (generation 12) Alice Harris.  She was born in 1607 in Braunstone, England, and d. on  9 Feb 1652 in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts,  

Thus 12) Alice Harris was the first woman of this line to come to the Americas.  (Yes I realize all those male ancestors also came, but I'm focusing on the matriarchs for now!  They had their hands full with gardening, cooking, cleaning, birthing and raising children, making clothing from whatever they could weave, and helping provide the shelters.

Dear Ancestry records are confusing, but I want to simplify 12) Alice Harris' life.  They say she either married in England or in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts Colony.

James
The James
I find her husband, 12) Ralph Farnum II, listed on a ship's manifest, The James, in 1633; then his wife and several children are listed in a genealogy report. The first 3 were born in England, so I assume the parents must have married before immigrating.

Simple process of logic.  12) Alice Harris married in 1627 to 12) Ralph Farnum II (also spelled Farnham frequently.)  Of their 6 children, the oldest was 11) Mary Farnum, who married 11) Daniel Poor, Jr., which was where I left you on that last post mentioned above.

12) Alice Harris Farnum was widowed in 1642 at the death of 12) Ralph, and she married again in 1645 to 12) Solomon Martin.  Since her youngest child was still 5 years old, this was a necessary marriage.  Interestingly, Solomon Martin died 10 years later at sea in Indonesia, so I would consider him to have been  a mariner.   12) Alice had died in 1652 herself.   By that time her eldest child 11) 11) Mary Farnum had married 11) Daniel Poor.

So though her great grandmother, 15) Caroline Herone is the first matriarch of this line of ancestors, 12) Alice Harris Farnum Martin is the heroine of my post today.  At least I know a bit more about her than her great grandmother.

See also My Ancestry from Newbury and Ipswich HERE,
         and on-newbury-ma-and-newburyport-ma
for more early Massachusetts colony information


Today's Quote:


It is through our connection to our light that we know things beyond what the visible world can tell us.
We are all beings of light. Put another way, we are spiritual beings having a human experience.
by Madisyn Taylor 

 


 

6 comments:

  1. I think Genealogy is a great thing to get into, but I never have. LOL. Amazing what one can find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reviewed my information and found Ancestry is making up for their other boo-boos, and now they have some parent of Vincent Harris (I had inadvertently said his name was Harrison!) so there are more roots in this tree than I imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great history to track. I have a distant cousin that took us back to Europe but I have yet to start to follow it all. I think Reader's Digest wrote and article that said one person could have 1034 people in their line just in a 10 generation strand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L.D....I also did the math...just adding 2 parents per person every generation. Whow.

      Delete
  4. Someday I say. Meaning I will get back to my geneology quest. I have tons of research tucked away in an old truck but in the last few years I have hardly done anything with it. You are very diciplined. Your research includes photos of the places your family came from. A nice idea.

    Also, your redo is understandable. Keeping a blog up to date takes time, although one enjoys it. Your blog layout is great.
    -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing all this on line...Ancestry DOT com already has the tree, and I just choose which of their listed ancestors are really mine (sometimes it's not a choice, and sometimes I have to figure things out based where they lived etc.) I also get the pic of places people came from on line, usually the Wikipedia images which are free domain usually.
      Thanks Barbara, for liking the new look. I do find I have more time, just wish I had more health too!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...