Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Friday, June 24, 2016

Babies in my dreams

Brand new babies. Well one anyway, in my dream this morning.
 new born baby asleep (posed by model) Photo: Alamy (library picture)

Can it have anything to do with the bird that seems to always wake up around 4 am and trill constantly, like a crying baby?

I was so adept at caring for this new life, in my dream. I cuddled, cleaned, fed, swaddled, burped, and knew just the right things to do for the tiny creature, a complete human being so new to this world.
I was really good at it, I remembered the feeling when I woke up.  It's been many (ahem) years since I had my own newborns.
 Original file ‎ (3,008 × 2,000 pixels, file size: 743 KB, MIME type ...

Once awake and remembering the feelings from the dream...I started thinking "perhaps I could get a job or volunteer to help with newborn babies as a relief for their parents."

  There are lots of sleepy new parents out there who wouldn't mind giving up that 2 am feeding to someone else...though of course I'm happy to hand the newbie over to the nursing mom after the diaper has been changed.

But wait, there's a reason I don't care for little babes, or even big ones. The menacing hacking sound of my cough from asthma and bronchiectasis. I forget it 'cause I carry it around in my back pocket, always coming out at inconvenient moments, and it only surprises new people when it comes out with its suddenness and loud bark. 

Its chronic bronchiectasis. See Wikipedia HERE. It doesn't mean I have anything catching, and the people who know me have gotten used to it by now. But when I walked through a crowd last weekend and coughed (while covering my mouth of course) I was looked at askance by a man who had had his back to me, who turned and looked "was I going to give him some germ or another? Why wasn't I in a hospital at least?"  That look.

So I can dream, anyway. And smile at the tenderness of newborns. Let's see, if ever my grandchildren who are adults partner up with someone, there might be a baby born into my family again...maybe.

I'm adding my dream to Sepia Saturday this week.

17 comments:

  1. A lovely dream for sure. Funny, how looking back on your children's babyhoods you tend to forget the stressfulness of it and only remember the sweetness of it. I did bring a sudden laugh, however, to the nurse at the mammogram center last year when I answered the form question "Are you currently pregnant" with "OMG, I hope not!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first lovely photo is a fine dream alright. The second is definitely closer to reality. The cry of a child is the ultimate alarm sound. No one can sleep through that!
    My mother has suffered with bronchiectasis for several years. This is her first year in the dry mountains after living on the humid Virginia coast. So far the mountain air agrees with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Mike, since today ( in a relatively dry summer) there's 100% humidity here in the Asheville area. I do like it most of the time compared to Florida!

      Delete
  3. I hope you do get to be a great grandmother in the not too distant future. That must be a very annoying condition for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jo. I had to laugh first time I read your comment, thinking you were sorry my grands hadn't reproduced yet. Then I figured you were concerned for my health!

      Delete
  4. Forget babies, how about looking after a little (getting bigger) puppy. I could send her over. And she doesn't mind about coughs at all. Now that is a dream .... or is it a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I could just sneak her in my apartment with the cat I already have...like I did the 2 guppies. What, she might be more needy than they are? Shucks...I will have to send her back then. Thanks for taking her on yourselves, a gallant move if ever there was one!

      Delete
  5. I have a lady that swims with us at the local pool that has a similar lung condition. She's quite game; she does many laps even if she has to stop to cough every few laps. She made sure to tell us, very early on it wasn't catching. I like Alan's suggestion that you could furry people sit instead of baby comforting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love furry people too, and wonder if my cat is part of my allergies, though the tests I had said I was only allergic to dogs. There goes Alan's idea too!

      Delete
  6. Sorry about your health. I understand about "that look". I stagger a bit when I
    walk (vestibular problem) and sometimes, in parking lots, people think I'm
    drunk. Few have ever directly asked me, but volumes can be communicated
    with those looks. That said, your crying baby photo is so much more
    realistic than the ad shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your dreams, and hopes with us. That cough sounds very annoying and wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sleeping babies always looks so -- like sleeping babies -- and you forget how demanding the cry. Fortunately mom's learn the language quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sleeping babies look so -- like sleeping babies, makes one forget the demanding cry. Fortunately mothers quickly learn the language. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Babies are so adorable...when they're asleep or at least not crying. My grandchildren are young enough to be reminded of the false illusions....but gorgeous enough to be in love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you have one of those rib shaking coughs permanently. I spent a few years fighting bronchitis and at times I thought the upper half of my body was going to just explode. To those who glare at you just smile and say, "I'm still vertical!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...