Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Friday, March 2, 2018

Clay action...

Some potters do things together...

At a Clay Club meeting, 2015, at John Britt's studio, I'm in the brown shirt with yellow purse.  We're considering test tiles showing results of different formulas for glazes.  That's John's specialty, and we learned a lot. Going to one of his workshops or reading his books would be even more information! But the Clay Club still is meeting once a month somewhere in western North Carolina.

 Fine balancing act between Cindi and Charles, with Barbara watching...glazing a large platter!


Oh yes, another famous potter, Picasso.

Don Reitz, a potter master who died in 2014.  I saw one of his pots at the Museum of Fine Art in St. Petersburg, FL last month!



I love reading the few potters blogs that are left.  We're a dying breed I think.  Here's a few of my favorite links in case you're in the mood to learn how we tick.


and more that will appear in the right column of my blog!

I'm missing some of my old time favorites, people must have found a new/different way of sharing.  I'm sad, because I like this meme.  But I admit many of the same folks now post over on Facebook, and they are my friends there as well.  However, I just cut back on using Facebook because of it's editorial limitations.

I'm linking to Sepia Saturday this week, because out of all those young caddies, how many of them might become masters at anything....and yet, it's possible!


The caddies and Caddy Master.

Thanks for stopping by, and please feel free to comment.  I'm getting a bit lonesome here in blogland!

Today's quote:


Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence, yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world.
ROBERT F. KENNEDY
 

14 comments:

  1. Masterclasses with a great artist are a great way to gain perspective on ones craft. I always learn something even by just listening to someone else's performance. This past weekend I heard three concerts of brass music that were wonderfully inspiring and have given me a new energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So glad to hear you have become more inspired...I'm going to a community concert in Brevard on Monday...will see if my non-musical ear is given any energy.

      Delete
  2. Such skill, such creativity. And as far as the link to the theme photo is concerned, I absolutely agree, I can never look at an old photo featuring young people without thinking - I wonder what became of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Alan, the incredible thing looking at photos of young people is, they're all grown up by now, and have already become something or another!

      Delete
  3. The Clay Club must be inspirational. I'm too am sorry to see blogs fall out of popularity. I'd imagined new generations of skilled creative writers rising out of blogland, but no...they've developed that awful shorthand and I think writing is deteriorating rather than flourishing. Thanks for providing the links...I'm going to check the blogs out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don Reitz - Master potter and happy man. What a smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful selection of photos and commentary on the state of pottery blogging. Genealogy bloggers have been going through a similar introspection as some folks have migrated to Facebook. Yet, although Facebook has the numbers a blog is a better story and photo sharing platform -- using the two in tandem appears to be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's hope blogging doesn't die - I'm trying to get back on board. I'd hate it if everyone has gone off and left. My sister studied ceramic arts in college and made some wonderful pieces. When she told me about all the pots the professor purposely broke, I couldn't imagine accepting it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyable posting, that looks like one fun club. Artists rally together. Robert Kennedy's quote is great and so useful today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting take on the theme. I like it. And I love pottery. I've tried it twice in my life - once when very young and once in early 30s. I think I have got worse as I got older. But I have a couple of things I made and love them dearly - and some that my Mum created and a friend too. The glazes are so interesting. Enjoyed looking at the other blogs too particularly CAN and Tony Clennell. Have you read Stuck in the Mud. He says there are a couple of articles at the end that say where all the potters have gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that true, that pottery is dying? That's alarming. All I can do is shake my head at the thought of what we've become. Our minds and souls are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pottery. If I go to a craft show, I head straight to the potters. I don’t have room for all that I would love to own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Envey you your Skill and the obvious satisfaction of creating an object that can be both practical & beautiful.
    More power to both your elbow & your clay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...